Magento Commerce vs Magento Open Source- What Do You Prefer?
Over the last few years, Magento has topped the list of the best e-commerce platforms. In 2017, 31.4% of the top website used Magento while the market share of the same is 19.64% in the current year 2018.
It is leading the market in both status and sales as it is a flexible and affordable e-commerce development option
Since the launch of Magento, it had two versions:
- Magento Community which is now Magneto Open Source- It is the free version that provides a web of features. It is best suited for small businesses that want to create their e-commerce platform from scratch.
- Magento Enterprise which is now Magento Commerce- Adobe renamed it after taking it over. It has more enhanced security and deploys application easily. It is also great for firms that intend to increase sales.
To make the right decision between Magento Open Source VS Magento Commerce, you need to understand them deeply.
Thus, in this blog, we will first read about both of them in-depth. After that, we shall take a look at the similarities and difference between the two platforms. It will make easy for e-commerce development companies to choose the right approach.
Magento Open Source
- Magento Open Source is the free edition of the platform. It can be downloaded, installed and extended by everyone using it.
- The open source edition of this framework lets the user customize it according to their needs.
- The best use of this edition is for a small or developing business and startups. It is because it is straightforward and easy to use.
- It has a great interface that makes learning tools and platforms easy for consumers.
- It has an extensive feature range, but it also consists of a vast community. The community has developers who continuously introduce new features for this platform.
Magento Commerce is more than a licensed version of the platform. It uses the same code stack as Open Source, but it is used by big firms that have more customer traffic, bulk product catalogs, Global reach and presence, and more complexities.
It lets the user configure some features for optimal user experience. Other benefits of the pro version are:
- Technical support and dedicated account management.
Which one to pick between the two editions of Magento?
Magento Open Source VS Magento Commerce is a great topic for discussion. To answer this correctly, let’s look at the similarities and differences between the two.
Similarities between Magento Open Source and Magento Commerce
- Open source– Both the editions of Magento are open source and the basic features and functionalities are same.
- Use of API– Magento Open Source and Magento Commerce both use API webservers for integration with other databases.
- Magento Connect– Both the versions allow the user to use Magento Connect. It is an extension of the platform where the developer can find various extensions.
Magento Open Source vs Magento Commerce- difference between the two
Here are the points of difference between the two:
|Point of difference||Magento Open Source||Magento Commerce|
|Meaning||Magento open source was previously Magento Community Edition. It is free, and developers can personalize it with their file as per their needs. It lets the users add plug-ins and extensions.||Magento Commerce was previously Magento Enterprise. It leads when it comes to providing open innovation across multiple channels for multiple. It runs on Amazon Web Services (AWS) Cloud.|
|Release date||The free version of Magento was developed 10 years back in the year 2017. It was customized to let the user work on a basic e-commerce platform.||The pro version of Magento was released on April 11, 2016|
|Price of using the platform||It is an open source platform and absolutely free to use.||It is also open source, but to use this you have to buy it. The cost varies from $22,000.00 — $125,000.00 per year, which is quite high. But the price seems worthy as it has additional security updates, special features, and exclusive enhancements for products.|
|Who can use it?||It is best suited for small businesses and startups.||It is best suited for big business that caters to a global audience.|
|Current version||The latest version 2.2.6 came out in September 2018||Its latest version 2.1 also came out in September 2018.|
|Features and functionalities||With Magento Open Source you can use Magento extension marketplace for advanced functionalities.|
It has many configurable swatches which let the developer use attributes like colors, sizes and so on.
It lets the user add multiple stores for different countries.
It has in-build options for target markets and brands. It also has different pricing and payment system. All this with installing Magento once.
|It has many advanced features and functionality. They are new and makes applications scalable possible.|
|Security||It doesn’t have secure payment bridges. The Bank requires these features and not PCI compliant can be a serious issue. For payment, it redirects the user to PayPal or HTTPS for communication with API.||Magento Commerce has a better security option. It also has powerful security like PA-DSS.|
|Support||Magento open source has no support from the external communities.||It has a 24*7 hour support for the e-commerce platform. Any issue that comes their way is solved instantly.|
|Deployment and updates||No schedules can be made for updates. Also deployment is slow.||Both deployment and upgrades are quick. It has the feature of scheduling the upcoming updates. For deployment, it has many options like a cloud, managed to host, and on-premise.|
|Customer Loyalty Programs||It has no loyalty programme.||The platform has various loyalty programs. It means that it enjoys greater audience support. The loyalty programs include Rewards, store credits, Private sales, Invite-a-Friend etc.|
|Functionality||Magento Open Source has no advanced functionality.|
Magento development services are famous for delivering some of the most successful projects. It includes projects like Oliver Bonas, Paul Smith, END Clothing, Paperchase, Tom Dixon, Bulk Powders, Helly Hansen, Cox & Cox, Made.com Missguided, Omega Watches, Nike, O’Neill, Kurt Geiger, and so on.
To conclude, Magento Open Source and Magento Commerce are a great platform for creating e-commerce websites. For startups and developing small businesses, the first version is better. It is both free and easy to use.
But for big businesses, Magento ecommerce is a better option as it has much functionality that may cater to their needs.
9To5Cloud is a multi-concept informational service which helps you to learn more about technologies, web and mobile app development. With clean and functional layout and lots of useful features, readers will be able to enjoy our posts, reviews and news of technology.